A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday in Bethlehem



Let me guess, I bet you were reminded at least a dozen times of a somewhat significant football game today in U. S. 

Not here in Bethlehem. No one knew. It wasn't even on TV. German broadcast of the Winter Olympics. I think they are winning. Not sure. Also no UK or U of L scores, except on iPads. 

No here it was cool 50s & started to drizzle a bit. It was Sunday in  Bethlehem. End of a 3 day weekend. So we were given a break, much needed. This is the geezer tour after all, with a few exceptions. Student pilgrims are all home now. 

So we went to church, some twice. We went first to the Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church. That's right Christmas.  This is where it all began according to St. Luke. 
   I will not speak for others, but for me the service was a spiritual breakthrough for the week. What ancient ruins, caves, seas, or boats could not do for me, the chancel choir of Christmas Church did, got me in touch with The Lord of the Universe and myself. Alleluia. Praise God. 
Here's the magnificent Old German organ, repaired in U.S. a few years ago despite almost overwhelming Israeli bureaucratic odds. With their organist playing Bach like, well Bach. 
The Rev. Mitri Rehab gave a very fine sermon on Genesis 8, they say. It was in Arabic, the language of the congregation.  Bet you never heard Christian worship in Arabic. Me either. Quite beautiful. Ask to hear my recording. Communion was awesome, I say not lightly. 
   Then, after coffee fellowship & lunch, we were on to the famous Church of the  Nativity, where Jesus Christ was born, or so they say. It likely wasn't a stable poor, but a cave. A church was built over said cave in 323 CE. Five denominations share ownership today. Very complicated. Makes our Session upkeep decisions seem a snap. Still it is reverent, if crowded. I leaned over, way over, and transferred a kiss to the multi pointed gold star over Jesus' delivery room. That does not sound very religious does it? It was okay. I felt more holy kneeling again with an Arabic neighbor at the next grotto     
  It is hard to explain or take in West Bank Bethlehem. We are in a sort of ghetto for Arab Palestinians. We are very welcomed. We have a 4 star hotel and excellent Mediterranean cuisine. The neighbors not so much. Some less. We are a short walk from the border fence. We can leave easily, the Palestinians, not very easy, if at all. Still everyone here is super nice. Why not?  Oh, and there is shopping. Here's one more shot you've not seen. It's an Arabic Christian artwork created by the Christmas Church's only tenor and resident fine artist, Mr. Adel Nasser. Arabic art uses no pictures just Arabic calligraphy. It says, "Glory to God in the Highest", I think. 
  
Game over. Jesus wins. More hope tomorrow. - Steve P

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post Steve! Thanks for sharing. As for me, I'm mourning my time in the Holy Land! I can't wait to go back. Soak it up and keep sharing, it takes me back! Blessings to you all! -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete