A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Akko, Rosh Haniqra, Monfort (well, almost!), Mt. Arbel and the Sea of Galilee


Today was a busy day! We woke early and said goodbye to our beachside hotel to head to Akko and tour a crusader village. After that we traveled to Rosh Haniqra to experience the border between Israel and Lebanon (see 1st picture and the more glorious side of it) By midday we were on the road to Monfort but due to an accidental detour, no GPS signal and perhaps a bit of luck we ended up sidetracked to a national park oasis. Each carrying our own part we carried lunch for 22 down a gravel path that left us completely enveloped in nature. There we pulled up the nearest rock, broke bread and ate together beneath a clear blue sky (see second picture).

I don’t know how the others experienced it but for me, as I stood back away from the group and looked on I felt like I was being given a glimpse into an ancient world. In Louisville, even when you’re at a park you cannot escape the sounds of modernity (cars, planes, etc.) But today, tucked away in that national park at Monfort it was like modernity had never existed. Well, except maybe that we were eating and drinking with modern utensils! Seriously though, watching my fellow brothers and sisters eat, laugh and talk without a care in the world made me wonder if that’s how Jesus and his disciples looked when they stepped off the path to eat a meal during their travels? Before I could have only imagined what it would have looked like but after today, I’ve seen what true community amidst tranquility looks like.

From there we hiked back up the trail (not for the faint of heart, I have blisters to prove it!) and loaded back onto our bus to head to Mt. Arbel so as to look out over the Sea of Galilee (see third picture) I must admit when we got to the bottom and our tour guide told us we would have to hike up for about 10 minutes to reach our destination I could have cried (a trip through the Holy Land is a workout!). I had no idea as I gritted my teeth and cursed my hurting foot that every bit of that aching would evaporate upon the view that would be held before me.

Truly I tell you that words could never encapsulate what we each experienced there. In a moment coming up over that last little hill of our hike; stillness set over all of us. At first we took pictures, marveled and sang joyous praise of such a sight; slowly though silence took over the group. We put our cameras away, set our belongings down and just sat in the moment. It was the first time we didn’t feel rushed; the first time since the whirlwind we have experienced since January 12 slowed to a gentle sense of peace. I don’t know what my brothers and sisters were experiencing in those silent moments but for me I was overcome with emotion and as I cried, I prayed a prayer of thanks.

I have no idea how much time had elapsed but at some point one our members prayed on Psalm 96. As he said ‘Amen.’ Another member began to sing. He wasn’t singing for us, but for him and we were all witness to his song of praise. Silence surrounded us all but for the soft lyrics he released. As he finished, as if the Spirit was nudging us to continue forward in our journey one by one we each silently walked away from such a splendorous sight.

Later in the evening as we arrived in Tiberius to stay for the next three nights we reflected on the day together. We echoed each other as we spoke of how powerful our time atop Mt. Arbel was. We spoke in solidarity that while life’s journey may separate us; we shall always be bonded together in the Galilee. This is only day 3 and already we find ourselves moved. I know I speak for the entire group when I say we cannot wait to see what else the Holy Land has in store for us!

 

                Tomorrow starts with the Jordan River!

Blessings and Peace,

Caitlin


 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog post Caitlin. Sounds like a real spiritual experience. I think I am glad I bought those new trail shoes. Going to need them I can see. Maybe we can catch the Crusader castle for you. Great pictures. Keep em coming. - Steve P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Don't forget to celebrate The Jewish New Year for Trees, Tu Bishvat (15th of the Hebrew month of Shvat), which is Thursday, Jan. 16. The rabbis compare humans and the human family to the Tree, i.e. the family tree. So hug a tree today in Israel.

      Delete