A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Jesus' Last Supper and Church of the Holy Sepulchre


It is just after 6am here in Jerusalem and I woke this morning in a surreal haze as I remembered that just yesterday we stood at the site of the Last Supper, Christ’s death on the cross and were able to enter the sacred site of the empty tomb. I couldn’t help but think ‘Did that really happen?’

But it did.

The Last Supper room is a small gathering space—kind of like the space we have met in twice daily throughout this trip. It’s always been a room big enough to seat us comfortably and always one that allows some privacy. This room was the same; out of the way and just enough space for a comfortable last meal together. As a Disciples of Christ (DOC) the Last Supper is particularly poignant. Christ welcomed all to the table, without exception. For several reasons this open table often leaves me in tears of joy. Perhaps it’s because I know what it’s like to be denied communion for one reason or another. To stand at the birth place of the open table was a moment I will never forget.

We have previously walked through the spots where Christ was arrested, sentenced and the path he carried the cross. As we approached the Church of the Holy Sepulchre I didn’t know what to expect but as we walked in I was overcome with a sense of awe. Just as you walk in the front doors is a massive mosaic depicting Christ’s crucifixion, burial and resurrection. Just beneath that is a slab of stone believed to be the site of where Christ was cross stood as he was crucified. People from all over the world were bowing before the stone and praying. Some even rubbed their hands on the stone and then their hands on their bodies to bless their bodies with the holiness of that stone. Others took their items, jewelry, candles, etc. and rubbed them all over the stone; perhaps to bless them. Continuing with my acts at the Church of the Nativity I kissed my hand and laid it on the stone.

You then go upstairs and wait to approach an altar surrounded by Golgotha stone (the type of stone said to be used for the tomb) and as I approached it the crucifix hanging over sent a wave of emotion through me. As I kneeled under the altar and placed my hand on the Golgotha stone I prayed a prayer of thanks to God for the gift of a son who came to save us.

From there I waited in a long line of fellow Christians to enter the site of the tomb and see the slab of stone that Jesus once laid upon. The line was a bit intense because we were shoulder to shoulder and people got frustrated a few times, but for the most part we waited in shared anticipation. I was fortunate enough to enter with three of my fellow pilgrims and we stood together round the tomb and each said our own silent prayers. I could have sat before that slab for the rest of the day but a monk quietly ushered me out to allow the others a chance to see. For some reason I sang Amazing Grace while entering the tomb and continued to sing it the rest of the day I also got to light a candle in memory of my grandfather at the site of the Golgotha stone--, we have had many opportunities at other sites to do that; but for some reason this site felt right  
 
 
 
 
.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again; I wish you could have been there.

Whatever description I give, whatever pictures I take just cannot express the reality of what it feels like to be in these sacred spaces. I read scripture differently even now, while still here. The imagery is more vivid and walking the landscape myself provides insight into just what a journey might have been like. I am interested to see what this will mean for my theology and my ministry. I have always been someone who connects to people and spaces emotionally. I am emotionally connected to this whole place and I don’t know what that will mean for my ministry. I do know that my call feels stronger than ever and I am excited to see what God has in store for me.

Today is our last full day here and it seems surreal. This morning we will attend the Church of the Holy Sepulchre as worshippers; what a blessing.

 

Please pray for the second group of pilgrims as they begin their travels today and will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

 

Blessings and Peace,

Caitlin

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. More wonderful postings. Setting us up very well. I can tell there is lots of emotion in the tail of the trip. God surely loves that. Tears and joy. Thanks for the prayers for Pilgrims II. We are on our way shortly. And I cannot wait to see the Moses glow on your faces. Shalom and Salaam. God bless you and keep you. - Steve P

    ReplyDelete