A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Palestinian Heart

Yesterday we journeyed to Nablus, Palestine and spent time walking through the streets and markets. I've never experienced poverty like that before and it felt surreal to be there.

Overcrowded is an understatement. Our Nablus guide, Majde, told us that 1,000 new people per week seek refuge there. Cisterns make up the skyline as the Palestinians are unable to control their own water and must rely on storage of rain water or to buy water in order to survive. 

The people were the shining light for me. You go through check points and anxiety riddles through you as you wonder whether or not you will be stopped and searched. Then, however you enter and among the poverty are smiling and friendly faces. Several adults and children alike gave us a hearty welcome that I wonder if we even deserved. 

It was in them and through their fighting spirit that I saw Jesus yesterday. I don't know what it will look like going forward or how I can help but I will always know those people and know that the news has it wrong. And my use of water will feel differently now that I know not everyone gets it as a basic right. 

Today we will attend church in Bethlehem  and then head to a local university to talk with a local author. Until next time.

Blessings and Peace, 
Caitlin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment