A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Thursday, January 16, 2014

To be baptized in the Jordan...


I write to you this morning from the shore of the Galilee as I await the rising of the sun. It is in these short but tranquil moments alone with God I feel I am able to truly give thanks for the splendor before me.

Yesterday we began by witnessing four baptisms of our fellow brothers and sisters in the Jordan. As I submerged my feet in such Holy water and watched them profess their faith I could not help but wonder if I was gaining a glimpse into the past. To watch those waters used for baptism; a sacred and holy sacrament was a sight I shall not forget. It seems fitting to be writing this to you as I hear the crashing waves against the shore.

From there we journeyed through Nazareth, Zapirro and Magdala. Pictures can do no justice of the Holy spaces we encountered yesterday. Church after church, archaeological site after site. Rich with history we walked the same floors as our ancestors did so long ago. You cannot help but wonder whose footsteps you are walking. The magnitude of their structures, the detail of their art and the dedication of their crafts shines through every artifact. I feel grateful to have gotten to be in those spaces. To sit and pray in those pews.

Some family members and friends have asked me what it feels like to be here. I’ll tell you what I told them; the Spirit dances here.

Blessings and Peace,

Caitlin


 

1 comment:

  1. Seems Caitlin always has her feet in the water. Must be all the walking. Let's see you've seen churches and ruins. How about a note on the accommodations? Hopefully, not ruined. Meet any interesting people? Maybe someone could help Caitlin keep us posted. Even let Tyler or Trisha be quoted. If I am right, you are on to the Golan Heights. Stay alert for incoming, and soldiers in a hurry. Peace my sisters and brothers. - Steve P

    ReplyDelete