A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Caesarea, The Aquaduct, Mt. Carmel and Megiddo

As we walked through ruins yesterday I was both awed by the archaeological find before me and saddened by the vastness of death that has taken place in each of these sites.

Throughout the semester we compiled a timeline of this area beginning in the reign of David in 1,000 BCE. As I collected information for the time line I couldn't help but be struck by the
amount of violence that took place during takeover after takeover. On a few rare occasions non-violent take overs would occur (insert date from timeline) and I would do a little 'woohoo' at the idea that power can shift without death
 
Yesterday walking through ruins of Caesarea and Megiddo I couldn't help but wonder how many people died on the ground beneath my feet? Layers upon layers of rocks provide physical proof of power changing hands and even though these places experienced much violence, still time after time groups chose to rebuild. The evidence of the human resolve was just beneath my feet.

 
What in your life gives you such resolve? Resolve to not give up no matter what? No matter our faith, Jewish, Muslim, Christianity, etc.; we all have been given the ability to join together as a community and rebuild amidst ruin. We all have resolve. I pray that brings us closer together.
 
Blessings and Peace,
Caitlin


 

No comments:

Post a Comment