A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Rising of the Sun

I write this from our last flight of our pilgrimage. We've left Newark and will arrive in Louisville in just under two hours. 

We left the Holy Land after watching the setting of the sun and breaking bread with the second group of pilgrims who are experiencing their first full day as I write this. After 12 hours on a plane and a small layover we left Newark just as the sun rose and lit the sky. Staring out the window I cannot help but feel bittersweet in returning home. 

The truth is I yearn to sleep in my own bed yet I mourn the splendor of the Holy Land. I've been thinking about what I've missed the most. Friends, family, church and of course my cat. In this moment however, mostly I've missed the communion table. I've missed the blessed opportunity and privilege to stand behind that table and serve. I look forward to standing behind there and knowing that experience will always be different for me now that I've seen the Upper Room with my own eyes--to know every part of my ministry will be different now having experienced the Holy Land.

Looking out into the great expanse of the sky I understand in a whole new way just how big God's creation truly is, and how fortunate I am to experience it. I look to the familiar faces around me and think that this time fifteen days ago, I had no idea how much I would come to cherish their fellowship. 

What a rare gift to know that wherever God calls us we will always have the Holy Land. Thanks be to God for such a life changing experience. 

Here's to knowing the second group of pilgrims too will fly home changed. 

Blessings and Peace,
Caitlin


No comments:

Post a Comment