A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

A blog of Louisville Seminary students and friends traveling to Israel and Palestine in January, 20

Friday, January 17, 2014

Church of the Beatitudes, Banias, Tel Hazor, Lunch with a local—



 

As you can see from the headline, we did a lot today. The Church of the Beatitudes was a beautiful place of refuge and prayer. Just before we entered the Holy space we read as a group from Matthew 5; the Sermon on the Mount. As I listened to those words of Jesus speaking against injustice and oppression; I could not help but think of life back home, and well, around the world. I hope those words are still being read, and yes, still being heard. We all have work to do and the Sermon on the Mount will always be worth hearing.

I’d like to tell you the rest of the day was just as powerful, but for me, it wasn’t. Sure, it was filled with beautiful sites, and certainly meaningful locations; but it didn’t match the wonder of our first stop. That is until I came upon the last stop of the day for me. Let’s start from the beginning…

                After we left lunch, hosted by our tour guide Claudia (whose view is INCREDIBLE!) we came back to the hotel for a bit of down time. Excited for the extra time I decided to grab my journal and my headphones and head down to the sea shore for some quiet time with God. As I traversed one of the many trails from our hotel I came across a set of rocks leading out into the sea the last of which (and farthest away) was glowing with the light of the setting sun. I knew what I had to do. Slowly but surely I began the descent from the trail and onto these rocks towards my destination.

                I must admit it was a bit treacherous and I even considered turning back midway through when it seemed too difficult but then I thought—you only live once (YOLO!) and I had to at least try. So onward I went, and after several more steps at last I made it to the sunlight and my journaling spot.

                I don’t know if it was a gust of strong wind, some sea creature or perhaps the will of God, but before I was able to sit I found myself lurching backwards to the frigid water before. (Yes, I fell into the Sea of Galilee—YOLO, I guess). As I came out of the water I gasped for air, panicked when I realized my phone was in my pocket submerged under water, my journal was floating away from me and my sunglasses were missing. I fished my journal back into my hands, scraped my knuckles on some rocks digging out my sunglasses from the rocks beneath and took my cellphone out of the water.

I then did what I like to call the walk (or climb, rather) of shame. You know, fully dressed scarf and all, drenched I had to climb back over the rocks, up the bank and towards the hotel passing many of my group members along the way. Each person was more shocked than the last to know of my plunge in the Galilee, some even took photos as you can see. After dripping and sloshing to my room to change I then headed to the dining room seeking rice to soak my phone in. That was an ordeal in itself given the language barrier, but finally after refusing already cooked rice three times we were able to get it worked out.

                I write this blog to you still trying to get warm from my impromptu polar plunge, with my phone in a bag of rice beside me and a much earned Hebrew beer next to my computer. I share this story with you for a few reasons; one, it’s hilarious, even for me-two, life happens, and you have to go with it, but most importantly, tonight during our reflection time we talked about the sermon on the Mount and how Jesus and God sometimes speak to us through disruptions.

                Well my life was disrupted today in a cold, wet, once in a lifetime way. Has God disrupted your life lately? I’d love to hear about it!

Tomorrow we travel to the West Bank and end in Bethlehem. Until then…

Blessings and Peace,



Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment